The aim of this study was to determine the relationship between the evidence-based nursing attitudes of nurses working in surgical wards and their patient-centered care competencies.
This was a prospective, correlational, and cross-sectional study.
The sample for this study included 209 surgical nurses working in the surgical clinics of a research hospital. Data were collected between March and July 2020 using the Nurses' Descriptive Characteristics form, Evidence-Based Attitude Toward Nursing Scale (EATNS) and the patient-centered care competency of the nurses, Patient-Centered Care Competency Scale (PCCS). Descriptive statistics and correlation analysis were conducted to analyze the data.
The mean total EATNS was moderate (53.93 ± 7.18, out of 75), and their approach to patient-centered care behaviors was high (69.46 ± 8.64, out of 85).
We found a medium level of positive correlation and a significant relationship between the attitudes toward evidence-based nursing and patient-centered care competencies of the nurses participating in the study (r = 0.507, P < .05).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Steps of evidence-based practice process in nursing.Int Ref J Nurs Stud. 2017; 9: 171-187
- Evidence-based practice.Med (Baltimore). 2019; 98 (e17209): 39
- Perception of Belgian nurses about evidence-based clinical practice implementation: a focus group study.Acta Clin Belg. 2017; 73: 110-118
- Patient-centered care.(eds)in: Kelly P Vottero B Christie-McAuliffe C Introduction to Quality and Safety Education for Nurses: Core Competencies. Springer Publishing Company, Inc, New York2014: 161-190
- Athletic trainers’ beliefs about and implementation of evidence-based practice.J Athl Train. 2016; 51: 35-46
- Adaptation of patient-centered care (PCC) competency scale into Turkish.Health Care Acad J. 2019; 6: 158-166
- Patient centered care-sharing decision making and the quality.Turk Klin J Fam Med-Special Top. 2014; 5: 38-43
- Determination of nursing students’ awareness of evidence-based nursing practice.HUHEMFAD. 2017; 4: 1-12
- Determination of evidence-based nursing attitudes and behaviors of nursing students.Süleyman Demirel Univ-J Health Sci. 2019; 10: 141-146
- Attitude toward evidence-based nursing questionnaire: development and psychometric testing in Spanish community nurses.J Eval Clin Pract. 2011; 17: 664-670
- The validity and reliability of attitude toward evidencebased nursing questionnaire for Turkish.J Res Dev Nurs. 2015; 17: 21-35
- Development and testing of a patient-centered care competency scale for hospital nurses.Int J Nurs Pract. 2015; 21: 43-51
- Determining attitudes of nurses toward evidence-based nursing in a university hospital sample.Florence Nightingale J Nurs. 2020; 28: 268-275
- Validation of the patient-centered care competency scale instrument for finnish nurses.J. Pers. Med. 2021; 11: 583https://doi.org/10.3390/jpm11060583
- Barriers to implementation of evidence-based practice in zahedan teaching hospitals Iran.Nurs Res Pract. 2015; 357140: 1-15
- Evidence-based practice and patient-centered care: doing both well.Health Care Manage. 2021; 46: 174-184
- Influence of problem solving skills of health workers on evidence-based perceptions of attitude.JASSS. 2017; 5: 648-661
- Where can we find postpartum clinic midwives and nurses in the context of evidence based practice?.J Health Nurs Manag. 2017; 4: 8-14
- The opinion of nurses working in pediatric clinics about evidence-based practice.YBUHDERGI. 2015; 3: 1-9
- Attitudes of intensive care nurses toward evidence-based nursing.Int J Health Sci Res. 2018; 8: 138-143
- The Effect of Internal Entrepreneurship on Patient-Centered Care Competencies.Sakarya University, Turkey2019 (Master Thesis)
- Realizing patient centered care: putting patients in the center, not the middle.Front Health Serv Manage. 2010; 26: 15-25
Published online: March 27, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of Interest: None to report.
Funding: None to report.
© 2023 American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.