The purpose of this study was to investigate the impact of watching short videos in the preoperative waiting room on preoperative anxiety in children.
This study was designed as a prospective, randomized trial including 69 ASA I-II patients aged 5 to 12 years who were scheduled for elective surgery.
The children were randomly allocated to two groups. The experimental group browsed short videos on a social media platform (eg, YouTube short, TikTok, Instagram reels) for 20 minutes in the preoperative waiting room, but the control group did not. Children's preoperative anxiety was determined by the modified Yale Preoperative Anxiety Scale (mYPAS) at different time points: on arrival in the preoperative waiting room (T1), right before being taken to the operating room (OR) (T2), on entering the OR (T3), and during anesthesia induction (T4). The primary outcome of the study was children's anxiety scores at T2.
The mYPAS scores at T1 were similar in both groups (P = .571). The mYPAS scores at T2, T3, and T4 were significantly lower in the video group than in the control group (P < .001).
Watching short videos on social media platforms in the preoperative waiting room lowered preoperative anxiety levels in pediatric patients aged 5 to 12.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Preoperative preparation of children.Int J Health All Sci. 2017; 6: 1
- Research progress on risk factors of preoperative anxiety in children: a scoping review.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022; 19: 9828
- Non-pharmacologic approaches in preoperative anxiety, a comprehensive review.Front Public Health. 2022; 10854673
- YouTube in pediatric anesthesia induction.Paediatr Anaesth. 2008; 18: 801-802
- The ‘iPhone’ induction - a novel use for the Apple iPhone.Paediatr Anaesth. 2008; 18: 573-574
- Streamed video clips to reduce anxiety in children during inhaled induction of anesthesia.Anesth Analg. 2012; 115: 1162-1167
- Children and parental anxiolysis in paediatric ambulatory surgery: a randomized controlled study comparing 0.3 mg kg-1 midazolam to tablet computer based interactive distraction.Br J Anaesth. 2017; 118: 247-253
- Single-blinded randomized controlled study on use of interactive distraction versus oral midazolam to reduce pediatric preoperative anxiety, emergence delirium, and postanesthesia length of stay.J Perianesth Nurs. 2019; 34: 567-575
- Which is good for pre-operative anxiety? Midazolam, video games or teaching with cartoons: a randomised trial.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2021; 38: 744-750
- Web-based tailored intervention for preparation of parents and children for outpatient surgery (WebTIPS): formative evaluation and randomized controlled trial.Anesth Analg. 2015; 120: 915-922
- The impact of influencers on cigar promotions: a content analysis of large cigar and swisher sweets videos on TikTok.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022; 19: 7064
- Young children and YouTube: a global phenomenon.Childhood Educ. 2020; 96: 72-77
- Development of a short version of the modified Yale Preoperative Anxiety Scale.Anesth Analg. 2014; 119: 643-650
- Evaluation of preoperative anxiety in Turkish paediatric patients and validity and reliability of the Turkish modified Yale Preoperative Anxiety Scale.Turk J Anaesthesiol Reanim. 2020; 48: 484-490
- The yale preoperative anxiety scale: how does it compare with a “gold standard”?.Anesth Analg. 1997; 85: 783-788
- An evaluation of preoperative anxiety in Spanish-speaking and Latino children in the United States.Paediatr Anaesth. 2018; 28: 719-725
- Cartoon distraction alleviates anxiety in children during induction of anesthesia.Anesth Analg. 2012; 115: 1168-1173
- Introduction of a paediatric anaesthesia comic information leaflet reduced preoperative anxiety in children.Br J Anaesth. 2016; 117: 95-102
- The influence of music therapy on preoperative anxiety in pediatric oncology patients undergoing invasive procedures.Arts Psychotherapy. 2020; 68101649
- Pre-operative breathing training based on video learning reduces emergence delirium in preschool children: A randomized clinical trial.J Clin Anesth. 2022; 79110788
- Virtual reality in pediatrics, effects on pain and anxiety: A systematic review and meta-analysis update.Paediatr Anaesth. 2022;
Statista. Most popular social networks worldwide as of January 2022. Vol 2022: Statista.
- TikTok browsing for anxiety relief in the preoperative period: a randomized clinical trial.Complement Ther Med. 2021; 60102749
- Predicting intense levels of child anxiety during anesthesia induction at hospital arrival.J Clin Psychol Med Settings. 2021; 28: 313-322
- Premedication and induction of anaesthesia in paediatric patients.Indian J Anaesth. 2019; 63: 713-720
- High anxiety, young age and long waits increase the need for preoperative sedatives in children.J Int Med Res. 2012; 40: 1381-1389
Published online: February 16, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of Interest: None to report.
Funding: None to report.
© 2023 American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.