To develop a scale that measures barriers to perioperative hypothermia prevention (BPHP) as perceived by anesthesiologists and nurses.
A methodological and prospective psychometric study.
Based on the theoretical domains framework, the item pool was created through a literature review, qualitative interviews, and expert consultation. The scale was pretested with a sample of 154 key stakeholders in perioperative temperature management and then field tested with 416 anesthesiologists and nurses working at three hospitals in Southeast China. Item analysis, and reliability and validity analysis were performed.
The average content validity index was 0.94. According to exploratory factor analysis, seven factors were obtained that could explain 70.283% of the total variance. Confirmatory factor analysis showed excellent or acceptable goodness-of-fit indices. The reliability analysis demonstrated that the scale had high internal consistency and temporal stability, with Cronbach's α, split-half coefficient and test-retest values of 0.926, 0.878 and 0.835, respectively.
The BPHP scale meets the psychometric criteria for reliability and validity and promises to be a useful quality measure for IPH management during the perioperative period. Further investigations on educational or resource needs and the development of an optimal perioperative hypothermia prevention protocol to narrow the gap between research evidence and clinical practice should be performed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Mild periopaerative hypothermia.N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 1730-1737
- Association between perioperative hypothermia and surgical site infection: a meta-analysis.Medicine (Baltimore). 2019; 98: e14392https://doi.org/10.1097/md.0000000000014392
- Study on correlation between perioperative hypothermia and infections in elderly patients.Chin J Nosocomiol. 2015; 25: 418-420
- Effectiveness of active and passive warming for the prevention of inadvertent hypothermia in patients receiving neuraxial anesthesia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Clin Anesth. 2017; 38: 93-104
- Unintentional perioperative hypothermia is associated with severe complications and high mortality in elective operations.Surgery. 2014; 156: 1245-1252
- Perioperative, local and systemic warming in surgical site infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Wound Care. 2017; 26: 614-624
- Compliance with surgical care improvement project for body temperature management (SCIP Inf-10) is associated with improved clinical outcomes.Anesthesiology. 2015; 123: 116-125
- Guideline implementation: preventing hypothermia.AORN J. 2016; 103 (quiz 311-3): 305-310https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aorn.2016.01.009
- Standard for perioperative nursing in Australia.Management of Hypothermia in the Perioperative Environment. ACRON, 2018
- Expert consensus on the prevention and treatment of hypothermia in perioperative patients (2017).Med J of Peking Union Med Coll Hosp. 2017; 8: 352-358
- Heat loss prevention education aids nurses' knowledge in prevention of hypothermia in newborns.Compr Child Adolesc Nurs. 2017; 40: 37-44https://doi.org/10.1080/24694193.2017.1386969
- Collaborative development of a perioperative thermal care bundle using the guideline implementability appraisal tool.J Perianesth Nurs. 2018; 33: 13-22https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jopan.2016.05.007
- Improving the implementation of perioperative safety guidelines using a multifaceted intervention approach: protocol of the IMPROVE study, a stepped wedge cluster randomized trial.Implement Sci. 2015; 10: 3https://doi.org/10.1186/s13012-014-0198-5
- Consequences of perioperative hypothermia. Review.Handb Clin Neurol. 2018; 157: 687-697https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-444-64074-1.00041-0
- Factors that influence effective perioperative temperature management by anesthesiologists: a qualitative study using the theoretical domains framework.Can J Anaesth. 2017; 64 (Facteurs influençant la gestion efficace de la température périopératoire par les anesthésiologistes: étude qualitative utilisant le cadre des domaines théoriques (TDF)): 581-596https://doi.org/10.1007/s12630-017-0845-9
- Barriers and enablers to the implementation of perioperative hypothermia prevention practices from the perspectives of the multidisciplinary team: a qualitative study using the theoretical domains framework.J Multidiscip Healthc. 2019; 12: 395-417https://doi.org/10.2147/jmdh.s209687
- Exploration of factors associated with surgeon deviation from practice guidelines for management of inguinal hernias.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2023684https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.23684
- Guidelines in practice: hypothermia prevention.AORN J. 2020; 111: 653-666https://doi.org/10.1002/aorn.13038
- Guideline implementation and raising awareness for unintended perioperative hypothermia: single-group 'before and after' study.Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg. 2020; 26 (İstenmeyen perioperatif hipotermi için farkındalık oluşturmak ve kılavuz implementasyonu: Tek gruplu 'önce ve sonra' çalışması): 719-727https://doi.org/10.14744/tjtes.2020.55237
- Inadvertent perioperative hypothermia: current nursing knowledge.AORN J. 2017; 105: 453-463https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aorn.2017.03.003
- Perioperative hypothermia in colorectal surgeries: are we doing enough to prevent it?.J Pak Med Assoc. 2020; 70: 304-307https://doi.org/10.5455/jpma.294692
- Prevention of inadvertent perioperative hypothermia - guideline compliance in German hospitals.Ger Med Sci. 2019; 17 (Doc07)https://doi.org/10.3205/000273
- Investigation on Knowledge, Belief, Behavior and Influencing Factors of Unplanned Hypothermia Protection Among Operating Room Nurses During Perioperative Period.Shanxi Medical University, 2017
- Validation of the theoretical domains framework for use in behaviour change and implementation research.Implement Sci. 2012; 7: 37https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-5908-7-37
- Barriers and enablers to effective interprofessional teamwork in the operating room: a qualitative study using the theoretical domains framework.PLoS One. 2021; 16e0249576https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0249576
- Barriers to effective prescribing in older adults: applying the theoretical domains framework in the ambulatory setting - a scoping review.BMC Geriatr. 2020; 20: 459https://doi.org/10.1186/s12877-020-01766-7
- A guide to using the theoretical domains framework of behaviour change to investigate implementation problems.Implement Sci. 2017; 12: 77https://doi.org/10.1186/s13012-017-0605-9
- Study on establishing urethral catheter maintenance strategies on the basis of evidence-based practice and Delphi.Chin J Nurs. 2016; 51: 155-160https://doi.org/10.3761/j.issn.0254-1769.2016.02.004
- Using Multivariate Statistics.Pearson, 2007
- Introduction to Quality of Life Research: Measurement, Evaluation and Promotion.Science Press, 2016
- Questionnaire Statistical Analysis Practice: SPSS Operation and Application.Chongqing University, 2010
- Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: conventional criteria versus new alternatives.Leuk Lymphoma. 1999; 6: 1746-1749https://doi.org/10.1080/10428194.2017.1397662
- Structural Equation Model:Operation and Application of AMOS.Chongqing University, 2010
- Statistics Explained.Routledge, 2014
- The behavior change technique taxonomy (v1) of 93 hierarchically clustered techniques: building an international consensus for the reporting of behavior change interventions.Ann Behav Med. 2013; 46: 81-95https://doi.org/10.1007/s12160-013-9486-6
- Developing theory-informed behaviour change interventions to implement evidence into practice: a systematic approach using the Theoretical Domains Framework.Implement Sci. 2012; 7: 38https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-5908-7-38
- Prevalence of inadvertent perioperative hypothermia and associated factors: a cross-sectional study.Ther Hypothermia Temp Manag. 2021; 11: 208-215https://doi.org/10.1089/ther.2020.0038
- Applied Structural Equation Modeling Using AMOS: Basic to Advanced Technique.Routledge, 2012
- The test-retest reliability of the respiratory-related evoked potential.Biol Psychol. 2021; 163108133https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopsycho.2021.108133
- A guideline of selecting and reporting intraclass correlation coefficients for reliability research.J Chiropr Med. 2016; 15: 155-163https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcm.2016.02.012
Published online: May 24, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of Interest: None to report
Funding: This article was funded by Zhejiang Health Science and Technology Project (No. 2022KY182) and Nursing Research Fund of Sir Run Run Shaw Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine (No.202117HL).
© 2022 American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.