The purpose of this study was to investigate the influence of potential co-occurring symptoms, including fatigue, sleep disturbance, anxiety, depressive symptoms, and pain, on the incidence of postdischarge nausea (PDN) measured two days following discharge to home after surgery for breast cancer.
This study used a prospective, cross-sectional, observational design.
The sample was 334 women aged 27 to 88 years of age. Demographic data were collected from the patient and the medical record before surgery. Symptom data were collected 48 hours following surgery using the Patient Reported Outcome Measurement System (PROMIS) and numerical nausea and pain scales.
Eighty-five (25.4%) of study participants reported some nausea two days after discharge. Study participants who experienced PDN frequently described that it occurred after they left the hospital to drive home following their surgery. Unadjusted odds ratios showed the presence of co-occurring symptoms of anxiety, fatigue, sleep disturbance, and pain were all significantly associated with the presence of nausea 48 hours following surgery. Other significant factors associated with (PDN) were history of motion sickness, history of pregnancy-induced nausea, use of opioids, and type of surgery.
Same-day surgery nurses providing postoperative education for women following surgery for breast cancer should explain to patients that nausea may occur after they are discharged, especially those with known motion sickness. In addition, patients should be informed that other symptoms, especially fatigue, sleep disturbance, and anxiety, may co-occur.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cancer statistics, 2022.CA Cancer J Clin. 2022; 72: 7-33
- Nausea as a sentinel symptom for cytotoxic chemotherapy effects on the gut-brain axis among women receiving treatment for recurrent ovarian cancer: an exploratory analysis.Support Care Cancer. 2016; 24: 2635-2642
- Fourth consensus guidelines for the management of postoperative nausea and vomiting.Anesth Analg. 2020; 131: 411-448
- [Update on PONV-what is new in prophylaxis and treatment of postoperative nausea and vomiting?: Summary of recent consensus recommendations and Cochrane reviews on prophylaxis and treatment of postoperative nausea and vomiting].Anaesthesist. 2022; 71: 123-128
- Management strategies for the treatment and prevention of postoperative/post-discharge nausea and vomiting: An updated review.F1000Res. 2020; 9 (Faculty Rev): 983https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.21832.1
- Effects of ramosetron orally disintegrating tablets on the prophylaxis of post-discharge nausea and/or vomiting in female patients undergoing day surgery under general anesthesia: a randomized controlled trial.Perioper Med (Lond). 2022; 11: 17
- Post-discharge nausea and vomiting: management strategies and outcomes over 7 days.J Perianesth Nurs. 2014; 29: 275-284
- Post-discharge nausea and vomiting remains frequent after Le Fort I osteotomy despite implementation of a multimodal antiemetic protocol effective in reducing postoperative nausea and vomiting.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015; 73: 1259-1266
- quality of life, anxiety, and postoperative complications of patients undergoing breast cancer surgery as ambulatory surgery compared to non-ambulatory surgery: a prospective non-randomized study.J Gynecol Obstet Hum Reprod. 2021; 50101779
- Which clinical anesthesia outcomes are important to avoid? The perspective of patients.Anaesth Analg. 1999; 89: 652-658
- Patients' willingness to pay for antiemetic treatment.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2007; 51: 38-43
- A prospective study of nausea and vomiting after breast cancer surgery.J Perianesth Nurs. 2017; 32: 169-176
- A history of severe nausea and vomiting during pregnancy predicts a higher incidence of postoperative nausea and vomiting after breast cancer surgery without breast reconstruction.Breast Cancer. 2021; 28: 506-512
- Preoperatively administered ramosetron oral disintegrating tablets for preventing nausea and vomiting associated with patient-controlled analgesia in breast cancer patients.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2008; 25: 756-762
- Evaluation of risk factors predictive of nausea and vomiting with current standard-of-care antiemetic treatment: Analysis of two phase III trials of aprepitant in patients receiving cisplatin-based chemotherapy.Support Care Cancer. 2010; 18: 1171-1177
- Comparisons of surgical site and patient's history with a simplified risk score for the prediction of postoperative nausea and vomiting.Anaesthesia. 2004; : 1078-1082
- Assessing the impact of acupuncture on pain, nausea, anxiety, and coping in women undergoing a mastectomy.Oncol Nurs Forum. 2016; 43: 725-732
- Race and unequal burden of perioperative pain and opioid-related adverse effects in children.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: 832-838
- Reduced incidence of postoperative nausea and vomiting in black South Africans and its utility for a modified risk scoring system.Anesth Analg. 2010; 110: 1591-1594
- Abstract C11: Racial differential in pain and nausea during breast cancer chemotherapy.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2016; 25: C11
- Improved analgesia and reduced postoperative nausea and vomiting after implementation of an enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) pathway for total mastectomy.BMC Anesthesiol. 2018; 18: 41
- Antiemetics: ASCO Guideline Update.J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38: 2782-2797
- Pharmacogenetics of postoperative nausea and vomiting.J Perianesth Nurs. 2019; 34: 1088-1105
- Presurgery psychological factors predict pain, nausea, and fatigue one week after breast cancer surgery.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2010; 39: 1043-1052
- Uses of complementary and alternative medicine for perioperative and other patients.Nurs Clin North Am. 2020; 55: 537-542
- Prolonged opioid use after surgery for early-stage breast cancer.Oncologist. 2020; 25: e1574-e1582
- Classification of acute pain trajectory after breast cancer surgery identifies patients at risk for persistent pain: a prospective observational study.J Pain Res. 2018; 11: 2197-2206
- The relationship of pain and nausea in postoperative patients for 1 week after ambulatory surgery.Clin J Pain. 2015; 31: 845-851
- Effects of evidence-based nursing on psychological well-being, postoperative complications and quality of life after breast cancer surgery.Am J Transl Res. 2021; 13: 5165-5173
- Factors associated with sleep disturbances in women undergoing treatment for early-stage breast cancer.Support Care Cancer. 2021; : 1-10
- Factors associated with the prevalence and severity of nausea while undergoing radiation among women diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer.Supp Care Cancer. 2021; (Under review) (Preprint, Research Square)
- Advancing symptom science through symptom cluster research: expert panel proceedings and recommendations.J Nat Cancer Inst. 2017; 109: djw253https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djw253
- Stable symptom clusters and evolving symptom networks in relation to chemotherapy cycles.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2021; 61: 544-554
- Symptom clusters experienced by breast cancer patients at various treatment stages: a systematic review.Cancer Med. 2021; 10: 2531-2565
- PROMIS(®)-29 v2.0 profile physical and mental health summary scores.Qual Life Res. 2018; 27: 1885-1891
- The Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) developed and tested its first wave of adult self-reported health outcome item banks: 2005–2008.J Clin Epidemiol. 2010; 63: 1179-1194
- Development of the NIH Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) gastrointestinal symptom scales.Am J Gastroenterol. 2014; 109: 1804-1814
- A comparison of the verbal rating scale and the visual analog scale for pain assessment.Int J Anesthesiol. 2003; 8
- Using linear equating to map PROMIS® Global Health Items and the PROMIS-29 V2.0 Profile Measure to the Health Utilities Index Mark 3.Pharmacoeconomics. 2016; 34: 1015-1022
- Comparison of health-related quality of life in patients with neuroendocrine tumors with quality of life in the general US population.Pancrease. 2012; 41: 461-466
- Factors Associated with postoperative nausea and vomiting after breast cancer surgery with inhalation anesthesia.J Nippon Med Sch. 2021; 88: 418-422
- Public perception on opioids & pain management after major surgery.Am J Surg. 2022; 223: 280-286
- Co-occurrence of anxiety and depressive symptoms following breast cancer surgery and its impact on quality of life.Eur J Oncol Nurs. 2016; 20: 97-105
- Is there a place for genetics in the management of PONV?.Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2020; 34: 713-720
- Drugs for preventing postoperative nausea and vomiting in adults after general anaesthesia: a network meta-analysis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020; 10Cd012859
- Metagenomics and chemotherapy-induced nausea: a roadmap for future research.Cancer. 2022; 128: 461-470
- Same-day discharge after mastectomy: breast cancer surgery in the Era of ERAS(®).Ann Surg Oncol. 2020; 27: 3436-3445
- Older women and opioid analgesia after breast cancer surgery.Pain Manag Nurs. 2021; 22: 327-335
- Exploring the multifactorial nature of postoperative nausea and vomiting in women following surgery for breast cancer.Auton Neurosci. 2019; 202: 102-107
- Early postoperative outcomes in lumpectomy versus simple mastectomy.J Surg Res. 2015; 198: 143-148
Published online: January 10, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of Interest: None to report.
Funding: Acknowledgment of funding NINR016695.
© 2022 American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.