This study aimed to determine the psychometric properties of the Turkish surgical anxiety questionnaire (SAQ) version.
This study design was methodological.
The study was evaluated with construct validity, exploratory (EFA) and confirmatory factor analysis (CFA), and convergent and discriminant validity. For scale reliability, internal consistency, Cronbach Alpha Coefficient, Pearson Correlation Analysis, and Inter-item Correlation Analysis, test-retest, and parallel forms methods were used.
The Turkish version of the surgical anxiety questionnaire consisted of a 3-factor structure, and the Cronbach's alpha value was 0.93. The CFA factor loads varied between 0.48-0.98. A positive, high correlation was found between SAQ and the Amsterdam Preoperative Anxiety and Knowledge Scale (APASIS). A positive, moderate correlation between SAQ and State-Trait Anxiety Inventory-1(STAI-1) was found.
SAQ has strong validity and reliability in the Turkish society. Nurses could use the SAQ to determine the anxiety level in surgical patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Anxiolytic use in the postoperative care unit.Anesthesiol Clin. 2012; 30: 467-480https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anclin.2012.07.006
- Preoperative anxiety and implications on postoperative recovery: what can we do to change our history.Minerva Anestesiologica. 2018; 84: 1307-1317https://doi.org/10.23736/s0375-9393.18.12520-x
- Validity and reliability of the Amsterdam preoperative anxiety and information scale in the Turkish population.Turkish J Med Sci. 2019; 49: 178-183https://doi.org/10.3906/sag-1806-84
- Preoperative anxiety levels in surgical patients: a comparison of three different scale scores.J Perianesth Nurs. 2022; 37: 69-74
- Preoperative anxiety in adult patients undergoing day care surgery: Prevalence and associated factors.Indian J Psychol Med. 2020; 42: 87-92
- A cross-sectional study on preoperative anxiety in adults.J Psychosom Res. 2018; 111: 133-139https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2018.05.012
- Preoperatory anxiety in patients undergoing cardiac surgery.Diseases. 2019; 7: 46https://doi.org/10.3390/diseases7020046
- Do psychological interventions reduce preoperative anxiety?.Br J Nurs. 2014; 23: 1208-1212https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2014.23.22.1208
- Reducing anxiety in preoperative patients: a systematic review.Br J Nurs. 2014; 23: 387-393https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2014.23.7.387
- The effectiveness of aromatherapy on preoperative anxiety in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Int J Nurs Stud. 2020; 111: 1-19https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2020.103747
- The impact of preoperative patient anxiety on postoperative anxiety and quality of recovery after orthopaedic surgery.J Perianesth Nurs. 2020; 35: 260-264https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jopan.2019.11.008
- State-Trait Anxiety Inventory Handbook.Boğaziçi University Press, Istanbul1985: 1-26
- The surgical anxiety questionnaire (SAQ): development and validation.Psychol Health. 2019; 34: 129-146https://doi.org/10.1080/08870446.2018.1502770
- Scale Development: Theory and Applications.Sage Publications. Inc USA, 2017
- Applied Statistics and Validity-Reliability With Examples from Sports, Health and Educational Sciences.5th ed. Detay Publishing, Ankara2016
- SPSS ve AMOS 23 Applied Statistical Analysis.1st ed. Nobel, Ankara2018
- The Amsterdam preoperative anxiety and information scale (APAIS).AnesthAnalg. 1996; 82: 445-451https://doi.org/10.1097/00000539-199603000-00002
- Sosyal bilimler için veri analizi el kitabı.Pegem Atıf İndeksi. 2018; : 001-214
- Psychometric properties of a Turkish version of the Collaborative Parent Involvement Scale for youths with type 1 diabetes.Curr Psychol. 2020; 39: 1199-1207https://doi.org/10.1007/s12144-020-00868-0
- Evaluation of methods used for estimating content validity.Res Soc Administrative Pharmacy. 2019; 15: 214-221https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sapharm.2018.03.066
- Development and validation of a new tool to measure the facilitators, barriers and preferences to exercise in people with osteoporosis.BMC Musculoskelet Disorders. 2017; 18: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1186/s12891-017-1914-5
- Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics.5th ed. Sage Publications, NY, United States2018
- Use of confirmatory factor analysis in validity and reliability studies.Anatolian J Nurs Health Sci. 2014; 17: 196-205
- How to measure a latent construct: psychometric principles for the development and validation of measurement instruments.Int J Pharmacy Pract. 2020; 28: 326-336https://doi.org/10.1111/ijpp.12600
- Extrinsic convergent validity evidence to prevent jingle and jangle fallacies.Multivariate Behav Res. 2021; 56: 3-19https://doi.org/10.1080/00273171.2019.1707061
- Convergent validity of the PUTS.Front Psychiatry. 2016; 7: 51https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyt.2016.00051
- Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error.J Market Res. 1981; 18: 39-50https://doi.org/10.1177/002224378101800104
- Reliability and Validity Analyzes with SPSS and AMOS Applied Examples.Academician Publisher, Ankara2018
- Discriminant validity assessment: Use of Fornell & Larcker criterion versus HTMT criterion.J Phys A. 2017; 890 (Conference Series IOP Publishing)012163
Published online: January 31, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of Interest: None to report.
© 2022 American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.