[email protected] is a web-based application that includes a smart computer-based self-assessment preoperative questionnaire (PreQuest). [email protected] enables remote non-telephonic preoperative assessment via a virtual visit. We aimed to determine if the American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) physical status classification assigned by PreQuest and virtual visit is comparable with that assigned by face-to-face assessment, and to determine the accuracy of [email protected] in recording complementary preoperative information.
Prospective, observational, paired study.
This study was conducted in a tertiary teaching hospital. A total of 510 adult patients scheduled for surgery were consecutively recruited. Of these, 220 patients were included in the analysis of ASA grade agreement.
PreQuest and virtual visit showed higher predictive value than face-to-face assessment in detecting patients with ASA grades 1 to 2. Face-to-face assessment showed the highest rate of false negatives (ASA 3-4 misclassified as ASA 1-2), with a sensitivity of 44.2% versus 69.8% and 50% for PreQuest and virtual visit, respectively. Virtual visit showed the highest agreement with the ASA grade assigned by a panel of experts (kappa index 0.52, 95% confidence interval 0.15-0.89). PreQuest and virtual visit offered a more comprehensive registry of anthropometric data, more detailed record of chronic diseases condition, and more accurate registry of patients’ treatments (virtual visit > PreQuest > face-to-face assessment).
The combined use of PreQuest and virtual visit offers a better performance in assigning the ASA grade for non-complex patients and a more accurate and detailed record of complementary information. This finding suggests the feasibility of [email protected] as a tool for preoperative assessment.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Patient-completed, preoperative web-based anesthetic assessment questionnaire (electronic Personal Assessment Questionnaire PreOperative).Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2017; 34: 221-228
- Use of a patient completed iPad questionnaire to improve pre-operative assessment.J Clin Monit Comput. 2017; 31: 221-225
- PreAnesthesia computerized health (PATCH) assessment: development and validation.BMC Anesthesiol. 2020; 20: e286
- A prospective observational study of the impact of an electronic questionnaire (ePAQPO) on the duration of nurse-led preoperative assessment and patient satisfaction.PLoS One. 2018; 13: 1-9
- A call centre and extended checklist for pre-screening elective surgical patients—a pilot study.BMC Anesthesiol. 2015; 15: e77
- Pre-operative evaluation of adults undergoing elective noncardiac surgery: updated guideline from the European Society of Anaesthesiology.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2018; 35: 407-465
- Development and patient acceptance of [email protected], a web-based application and electronic questionnaire for preoperative assessment. A prospective cohort study.Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim. 2022; 69: 383-392
- ASA Physical Status Classification System.(Approved by the ASA House of Delegates on October 15, 2014, and last amended on December 13, 2020)2020: 2
- Preoperative Tests: The Use of Routine Preoperative Tests for Elective Surgery.National Collaborating Centre for Acute Care (UK), London2003
- Computerized model for preoperative risk assessment.Br J Anaesth. 2011; 107: 180-185
- Evaluation of an online preoperative assessment tool.BMJ Innov. 2020; 6: 127-131
- Patient-centered anesthesia triage system predicts ASA physical status.Anesth Analg. 2017; 124: 1957-1962
- Reliability of the American Society of Anesthesiologists physical status scale in clinical practice.Br J Anaesth. 2014; 113: 424-432
- The evolution, current value, and future of the American Society of anesthesiologists physical status classification system.Anesthesiology. 2021; 135: 904-919
- The ASA classification and peri-operative risk.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2011; 93: 185-187
- Online versus non-standard face to face preoperative assessment: cost effectiveness.Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim. 2012; 59: 350-356
- Virtual preoperative assessment in surgical patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Clin Anesth. 2021; 75110540https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinane.2021.110540
- Inter-rater reliability of the ASA Physical Status classification in a sample of anaesthetists in Western Australia.Anaesth Intensive Care. 2014; 42: 614-618
- Variability in the American Society of Anesthesiologists physical status classification scale.AANA J. 2003; 71: 265-274
- The ASA physical status classification: inter-observer consistency. American Society of Anesthesiologists.Anaesth Intensive Care. 2002; 30: 633-640
- American Society of Anesthesiologists’ physical status system: a multicentre Francophone study to analyse reasons for classification disagreement.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2011; 28: 742-747
- Nurse-led versus doctor-led preoperative assessment for elective surgical patients requiring regional or general anaesthesia.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; CD010160
- Nurse-led paediatric pre operative assessment: an equivalence study.Paediatr Nurs. 2006; 18: 23-29
- Evaluating barriers to adopting telemedicine worldwide: a systematic review.J Telemed Telecare. 2018; 24: 4-12
- Predictors of eHealth usage: insights on the digital divide from the Health Information National Trends Survey 2012.J Med Internet Res. 2014; 16 (PMID: 25048379): e172https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.3117
Published online: December 09, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of Interest: None to report.
Funding: This work corresponds to phase 1 of the two-phase study “[email protected], an integral model for telematic POA,” which was funded by the Andalusian Regional Council of Health as a project of Innovation in Health; Resolution on June 22, 2018; PIN-0224-2018.
© 2022 American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.