To examine the risks of postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV) in breast cancer patients.
Descriptive, cross-sectional study.
The study was conducted in the surgical oncology department of a tertiary hospital between June 2020 and December 2020. A total of 83 female patients who were scheduled for surgical treatment for breast cancer were included in the study. The patients were evaluated using the Patient Evaluation Form created by the researcher by scanning the literature, the VAS Pain Rating Scale, and the Apfel Risk Scoring System.
A significant relationship was found between age and PONV at the 2nd, 4th, 8th, 24th and 48th hours after surgery (respectively: P = .00, P = .00, P = .00, P = .00, P = .00). There was a significant correlation between the duration of surgery and PONV at 0 hour, PONV at first oral intake and PONV at 4 hours (respectively; P ˂ .01, P ˂ .01). The highest rate of PONV of all time (50.6%) at the 0th hour when the VAS scores of the patients was the highest. The PONV rate at the 48th hour was the lowest of all time periods (1.2%) (respectively; P ˂ .01, P ˂ .01).
While women with breast cancer who have undergone mastectomy have the highest risk of postoperative and nausea vomiting in terms of age and pain severity, the duration of the operation and the first oral intake time also pose a risk. Nurses play a key role in the quality of care, patient safety, and patient satisfaction. It is recommended that institutions create evidence-based strategies and take necessary precautions in the preoperative evaluation of patients in terms of postoperative nausea and vomiting.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cancer statistics for the year 2020: An overview.Int. J. Cancer. 2021; : 1-12https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.33588
World Health Organization, (2020). İnternational agency for research on cancer. Accessed January 3, 2022. https://gco.iarc.fr/today/data/factsheets/populations/792-turkey-fact-sheets.pdf
- The prevalence of postoperative nausea and vomiting: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Saudi J Anaesth. 2020; 14: 48-56https://doi.org/10.4103/sja.SJA_401_19
- Guidelines for perioperative care in elective colorectal surgery: enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) society recommendations: 2018.World J Surg. 2019; 43: 659-695https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-018-4844-y
- Global cancer statistics 2020: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries.CA Cancer J Clin. 2021; https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21660
- Poor preoperative sleep quality is a risk factor for severe postoperative pain after breast cancer surgery: a prospective cohort study.Medicine (Baltimore). 2019; 98https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000017708
- A history of severe nausea and vomiting during pregnancy predicts a higher incidence of postoperative nausea and vomiting after breast cancer surgery without breast reconstruction.Breast Cancer. 2020; : 1-7https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-020-01190-0
- Postoperative nausea and vomiting risk factors and prevention in patients with breast cancer cumhuriyet university.J Health Sci Ins. 2021; 6https://doi.org/10.51754/cusbed.738494
- Evidence-based practices in postoperative nausea and vomiting management.Dicle Med J. 2018; 45: 341-351https://doi.org/10.5798/dicletip.457268
- Analysis of studies evaluating the effect of aromatherapy in the management of post-operative nausea and vomiting.J Surg Oper Room Sterilization Infect Control Nurs. 2021; 2: 11-30
- Relationship between preoperative time of fasting and postoperative nausea and vomiting.J Pediatr Surg Nurs. 1/3 2020 - Volume. 2022; 9: 18-21https://doi.org/10.1097/JPS.0000000000000232
- Amisulpride for the prevention and treatment of postoperative nausea and vomiting: a quantitative systematic review (meta-analysis).Drugs Future. 2019; 44: 453-463https://doi.org/10.1358/dof.2019.44.6.2973350
- Comparison of postoperative analgesia efficacy of preemptive intravenous ibuprofen and paracetamol in endovenous laser ablation under general anesthesia.GKD Anesth Intensive Care Assoc J. 2021; 27: 161-165https://doi.org/10.5222/GKDAD.2021.82712
- Sensitivity and specificity comparison between APFEL, KOIVURANTA, and SINCLAIR score as PONV predictor in post general anesthesia patient.Qanun Medik-Med J Faculty Med Muhammadiyah Surabaya. 2020; 4: 69-76
- Risk-adapted strategy or universal multimodal approach for PONV prophylaxis?.Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2020; 34: 721-734https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpa.2020.05.003
- Practice guidelines for preoperative fasting and the use of pharmacologic agents to reduce the risk of pulmonary aspiration: application to healthy patients undergoing elective procedures: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on preoperative fasting and the use of pharmacologic agents to reduce the risk of pulmonary aspiration.Anesthesiology. 2017; 126: 376-393https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000001452
- Investigation of hunger and thirst levels of surgical patients before and after surgery. J Health Life Sci.Sağlık Ve Yaşam Bilimleri Dergisi. 2019; 1: 32-36https://doi.org/10.33308/2687248X.201912153
- Fourth consensus guidelines for the management of postoperative nausea and vomiting.Anesth Analg. 2020; 131: 411-448https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000004833
- Effect of gastric decompression on postoperative vomiting in pediatric patients undergoing strabismus surgery: a randomized controlled study.Anesth Pain Med. 2020; 15: 66https://doi.org/10.17085/apm.2020.15.1.66
- Postoperative Nausea and vomiting in paediatric anaesthesia.Turkish J Anaesthesiol Reanim. 48. 2020: 88-95https://doi.org/10.5152/TJAR.2019.67503
- Assessment of pain and postoperative nausea and vomiting and their association in the early postoperative period: an observational study from Palestine.BMC Surg. 2021; 21: 177https://doi.org/10.1186/s12893-021-01172-9
- Effect of scheduled intravenous acetaminophen on postoperative nausea and vomiting in patients undergoing laparoscopic gynecologic surgery.J Anesth. 2020; 34: 502-511https://doi.org/10.1007/s00540-020-02777-9
- Comparison of effects of propofol and sevoflurane used in maintenance of general anaesthesia on post-operative nausea and vomiting: a prospective observational study.J Evol Med Dent Sci. 2021; 10 (1515+.)
- Perioperative care of the geriatric patient for noncardiac surgery.Clin Cardiol. 2020; 43: 127-136https://doi.org/10.1002/clc.23302
- Evaluatıon of early complications in the post-operative recovery unit.Çukurova J Anesthesiol Surg Sci. 2020; 3: 212-222https://doi.org/10.36516/jocass.2020.58
Published online: December 16, 2022
Conflict of Interest: None to report.
Funding: None to report.
© 2022 American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.