This study evaluated and compared the effect of chlordiazepoxide and transcranial alternating current stimulation (tACS) on changes in blood potassium levels caused by preoperative anxiety.
This randomized, double-blind placebo control study was performed on 100 patients undergoing surgery with the American Society of Anesthesiologists physical status (ASA I) who went through surgery for the first time.
Patients were classified into four groups of real or sham tACS, chlordiazepoxide, and placebo. The Amsterdam Preoperative Anxiety information Scale (APAIS) and serum potassium levels were used to collect data. The results were analyzed using the Kolmogorov-Smirnov tests, independent t test, Pearson correlation, and χ2 test.
There was no baseline difference between the groups. A significant difference was found between real tACS and the chlordiazepoxide group in plasma potassium level (P = .017).
The results showed that real tACS was more effective than chlordiazepoxide in preventing the decrease of plasma potassium level in the preoperative period. Assessing the efficacy of the other types of brain electrical interventions is suggested for future studies.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Assessment of pre-operative and postoperative anxiety among elective major surgery patients in a tertiary hospital in Nigeria.Middle East J Anaesthesiol. 2015; 23: 235-240
- Evaluation of pre-operative anxiety and fear of anesthesia using APAIS score.Eur J Med Res. 2018; 23: 41
- The effect of the type of surgery performed due to prostate cancer on pre-operative patient anxiety, a prospective study.Am J Clin Exp Urol. 2021; 9: 88-95
- The Amsterdam pre-operative anxiety and information scale provides a simple and reliable measure of pre-operative anxiety.Can J Anesth. 2002; 49: 792-798
Tadayonfar M, Mohebbi M, Koushan M, Rakhshani M. The effects of guided imagery on anxiety level of the patients undergoing appendectomy. 2014.
- Depression and anxiety symptoms are related to increased 24-hour urinary norepinephrine excretion among healthy middle-aged women.J Psychosom Res. 2004; 57: 353-358
- Long-term behavioral and neuroendocrine adaptations to adverse early experience.Prog Brain Res. 1998; 122: 2000
- Factors affecting the anxiety prior to surgery.Inst Med Univ Semnan Med Sci. 2007; 8: 123-130
- The effectiveness of drug therapy, relaxation and compound therapy on anxiety reduction, level of epinephrine and norepinephrine among patients with generalized anxiety disorder.J Jahrom Univ Med Sci. 2013; 10: 53
- Effect of chlordiazepoxide on hypokalemia caused by anesthesia anxiety: a double-blind randomized clinical trial.J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2016; 26: 26-34
- The survey of hypokalemia prevalence as a react to surgery stress before anesthesia induction.OFOGH DANESH. 2002; 8: 9-14
- Pre-operative anxiety: a study of the incidence and aetiology.Br J Anaesth. 1967; 39: 503-509
- Comparing the effect of massage aromatherapy and massage on anxiety level of the patients in the pre-operative period: a clinical trial.Evid Based Care. 2012; 2: 19-28
- Critical care nurses’ assessment of patients’ anxiety: reliance on physiological and behavioral parameters.Am J Crit Care. 2002; 11: 57-64
- Cardiac arrhythmias: drugs and devices.Curr Opin Anesthesiol. 2001; 14: 3-9
- The comparison of the effect of lorazpam and chlordiazpoxide as premedication on prevention of recall perioperative events after general anesthesia.Zahedan J RES Med Sci. 2007; 9: 95-101
- Manual of Spielberger State-Trait Anxiety Inventory.Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, 1993
- Physiology and pathophysiology of potassium homeostasis.Adv Physiol Educ. 2016; 40: 480-490
- The comparative effect of valeriana officinalis versus diazepam on the state of anxiety before operation in female patients admitted in Kashani hospital.J Clin Nurs Midwifery. 2016; 5: 58-66
- Investigating the synergistic effects of transcranial direct current stimulation and cranial electrical stimulation in treatment of major depression in a double blinded controlled trial.Biomed Pharmacol J. 2015; 8: 1267-1274
- The role of Benson’ s relaxation on reducing state anxiety on candidate of open heart surgery patient's.Mil Caring Sci J. 2015; 2: 182-190
- The effect of transcranial alternating current stimulation (tACS) on alpha wave absolute power of the frontal region in methamphetamine users.Neuropsychology. 2019; 5: 43-58
- Double-blind, randomized pilot clinical trial targeting alpha oscillations with transcranial alternating current stimulation (tACS) for the treatment of major depressive disorder (MDD).Transl Psychiatry. 2019; 9: 1-12
- The efficacy of transcranial alternating current stimulation for treating post-stroke depression: study protocol clinical trial (SPIRIT compliant).Medicine (Baltimore). 2020; 16: 99
- Lasting connectivity increase and anxiety reduction via transcranial alternating current stimulation.Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci. 2018; 13: 1305-1316
- Translation and validation of the amsterdam preoperative anxiety and information scale (APAIS) for Iranian population.Res Med. 2007; 31: 79-84
- Sustained aftereffect of α-tACS lasts up to 70 min after stimulation.Front Hum Neurosci. 2016; 10: 245
- Transcranial direct current stimulation for the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder: a randomized clinical trial.J Affect Disord. 2019; 259: 31-37
- A direct comparison of the electrophysiological effects of transcranial direct and alternating current stimulation in healthy subjects.Brain Res. 2020; 1747147065
- Effect of chlordiazepoxide on hypokalemia caused by anesthesia anxiety: a double-blind randomized clinical trial.J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci (JMUMS). 2016; 26: 26-34
- Pre-induction hypokalaemic phenomenon in Nigerian adult population.Niger Quarterly J Hosp Med. 2008; 18: 181-184
Published online: January 14, 2023
Conflict of Interest: None to report.
Funding: This paper is a part of an MSc thesis supported by Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Iran.
© 2022 American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.