This quality improvement project implemented job-related education for registered nurses (RNs) completing preoperative anesthesia interviews (PAIs) to increase their knowledge and confidence, improve completeness of documented preoperative interviews, and decrease day of surgery (DOS) cancellations.
Pre/post implementation design and retrospective chart review.
An educational module on PAIs was created and RNs working in the pre-admission testing (PAT) clinic were asked to complete the module. Pre and post implementation data was collected on RN knowledge and confidence, assessment completeness, and DOS cancellations.
Knowledge and confidence increases were not statistically significant, although several interview components within PAI documentation improved with statistical significance. Overall DOS cancellations, although not statistically significant, were found to decrease, 1.3% to 1.2%.
Registered nurses’ knowledge, confidence and PAI completeness improved after completing the educational module with anesthetic considerations. Patients seen at the PAT clinic for PAIs before the DOS allowed for patient optimization and education leading to decreased preventable DOS cancellations.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The impact of a structured preoperative protocol on day of surgery cancellations.J Clin Nurs. 2018; 27: 288-305https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.13896
- Reducing preventable surgical cancellations: improving the preoperative anesthesia interview process.J Perianesth Nurs. 2019; 34: 929-937https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jopan.2019.02.001
- The impact of reduction of testing at a preoperative evaluation clinic for elective cases: value added without adverse outcomes.J Clin Anesth. 2019; 55: 92-99https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinane.2018.12.027
- A prospective observational study of the impact of an electronic questionnaire (ePAQ-PO) on the duration of nurse-led pre-operative assessment and patient satisfaction.PLoS ONE. 2018; 13e0205439https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0205439
- Incidence and causes of cancellations of elective operation on the intended day of surgery at a tertiary referral academic medical center in Ethiopia.Patient Saf Surg. 2018; 12: 25https://doi.org/10.1186/s13037-018-0171-3
- Development of a nurse-assisted preanesthesia evaluation program for pediatric outpatient anesthesia.Pediatr Anesth. 2015; 25: 719-726https://doi.org/10.1111/pan.12640
- Preoperative anesthesia evaluation.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2018; 27: 67-74https://doi.org/10.1053/j.sempedsurg.2018.02.002
- Cancellation of surgeries: integrative review.J Perianesth Nurs. 2019; 34: 86-96https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jopan.2017.09.012
- Overview of operating room procedures during inpatient stays in U.S. hospitals, 2018.Agency Healthcare Res Qual. 2021; (Published online. Accessed November 11, 2021): 1-18https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb281-Operating-Room-Procedures-During-Hospitalization-2018.pdf
- High-Volume Invasive, Therapeutic Ambulatory Surgeries Performed in Hospital-Owned Facilities, 2016. HCUP Statistical Brief #252. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2019 (Accessed October 28, 2021)
- Reducing surgery cancellations at a pediatric ambulatory surgery center.AORN J. 2017; 105: 384-391https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aorn.2017.01.011
- Day of surgery cancellation rate after preoperative telephone nurse screening or comprehensive optimization visit.Perioperat Med. 2015; 4: 12
- Effectiveness of nurse-led preoperative assessment services for elective surgery: a systematic review update.JBI Database System Rev Implement Rep. 2015; 13: 279-317https://doi.org/10.11124/jbisrir-2015-1996
- Practice advisory for preanesthesia evaluation: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists task force on preanesthesia evaluation.Anesthesiology. 2012; 116: 522-538https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0b013e31823c1067
Published online: January 05, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of Interest: None to report.
© 2022 American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.