This study was conducted to investigate the care perception and learning needs of patients undergoing day surgery.
A descriptive and cross-sectional model was used.
The study was conducted with 234 patients who underwent day surgery in a general surgery clinic of a university hospital. Data were collected using a sociodemographic characteristics form, the Patient Perception of Hospital Experience with Nursing Scale (PPHEN) and the Patient Learning Needs Scale (PLNS).
The PPHEN mean score was 67.99 ± 11.98 and the PLNS total score was 211.15 ± 38.49. The subscales showed that the highest scores were 38.47 ± 6.93 for activities of life, while the lowest score was 20.60 ± 4.23 for feelings related to condition. There was a statistically significant negative correlation in the PPHEN and PLNS subscales in terms of medications, activities of living, treatment, and complications. There was no statistically significant relationship between the demographic data of the patients (age, gender, and educational status).
This study demonstrated that patients had high information needs and greater concerns, particularly about “activities of life.” Nurses should be aware of the importance of identifying high learning needs to increase the level of satisfaction with nursing care in day surgery patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Care of preoperative patients.in: Ignatavicius DD Workman ML Rebar CR Medical Surgical Nursing Concepts for Interprofessional Collaborative Care. 9th ed. Evolve Elsevier, 2018: 228-251
- Home recovery following day surgery: a patient perspective.J Clin Nurs. 2015; 24: 415-427https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.12615
- Preoperative anxiety in ambulatory surgery: the impact of an empathic patient-centered approach on psychological and clinical outcomes.Patient Educ Couns. 2016; 99: 733-738https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2015.11.016
- Postoperative recovery from the perspective of day surgery patients: a phenomenographic study.Int J Nurs Stud. 2013; 50: 1630-1638https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.05.002
- A systematic review of surgical site infections following day surgery: a frequentist and a Bayesian meta-analysis of prevalence.J Hosp Infect. 2019; 101: 196-209https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2018.07.035
- Patient needs and satisfaction with nursing care after day surgery based on a patient-centered care framework.Clin Nurs Res. 2017; 26: 301-317https://doi.org/10.1177/1054773816633656
- Perioperative nursing.in: Honan L Medical-Surgical Nursing Focus on Adult Health. 2nd ed. Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2019: 104-131
- Ambulatory surgical centers: a review of complications and adverse events.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2017; 25: 12-22https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOS-D-15-00632
- Factors influencing day surgery patients' quality of postoperative recovery and satisfaction with recovery: a narrative review.Perioper Med. 2019; 8https://doi.org/10.1186/s13741-019-0115-1
- Presurgery anxiety and day surgery patients' need for information.J Perianesth Nurs. 2018; 33: 658-668https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jopan.2017.06.125
- A cross-sectional study to assess the difference in perception of day surgery information between patients and medical staff in China.Patient Prefer Adherence. 2019; 13: 381-387https://doi.org/10.2147/PPA.S196674
- Day surgery nurses’ selection of patient preoperative information.J Clin Nurs. 2017; 26: 225-237https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.13375
- Moving into action: the master key to patient education.J Nurs Res. 2019; 27: 1-8https://doi.org/10.1097/jnr.0000000000000280
- Nurses' perceptions of patient care continuity in day surgery.J Perianesth Nurs. 2017; 32: 609-618https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jopan.2015.08.013
- Effect of home monitoring via mobile app on the number of in-person visits following ambulatory surgery: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 622-627https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2017.0111
- Association between functional health literacy and postoperative recovery, health care contacts, and health-related quality of life among patients undergoing day surgery: secondary analysis of a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153: 738-745https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2018.0672
- Learning needs of hospitalized patients with heart failure in singapore: a descriptive correlational study.J Nurs Res. 2018; 26: 250-259https://doi.org/10.1097/jnr.0000000000000239
- The evaluation of nursing care satisfaction and patient learning needs in day case surgery.Indian J Surg. 2015; 77: 1172-1179https://doi.org/10.1007/s12262-015-1234-7
- Relation of professional values of the nurses with their individualized care perceptions.Florence Nightingale J Nurs. 2015; 23: 32-40
- Patient's perceptions of nursing care: a descriptive study from Turkey.Ann Nurs Pract. 2016; 3: 1048-1053
- Continuity of care in day surgical care: perspective of patients.Scand J Caring Sci. 2014; 28: 706-715https://doi.org/10.1111/scs.12099
- Development of an instrument to measure patient perception of the quality of nursing care.Res Nurs Health. 2001; 24: 506-517https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.10007
- Reliability and validity of the scale of patient perception of hospital experience with nursing care in a Turkish population.J Clin Nurs. 2010; 19: 1929-1934https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.03125.x
- The patient learning needs scale: reliability and validity.J Adv Nurs. 1990; 15: 1181-1187https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.1990.tb01711.x
- A validity and reliability study of the patient learning needs scale in Turkey.Dokuz Eylul Univ E-J Nurs Fac. 2008; 1: 19-32
- Level of patients’ satisfaction with nursing care.J Firat Health Hiz. 2011; 6: 67-81
- Patients' perceptions of nursing care in a university hospital.Nurs Sci Q. 2020; 33: 12-18https://doi.org/10.1177/0894318419881798
- Satisfaction of patients with nursing care.J Kocatepe Med. 2013; 14: 69-75
- Determination of patient learning needs after thyroidectomy.Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2016; 17: 1479-1483https://doi.org/10.7314/apjcp.2016.17.3.1479
- Determination of the Information Requirements in the Discharge Stage of Day Surgery Patients.Istanbul University, Institute of Health Science, 2015 (Master Thesis)
- Determination of the learning needs of hospitalized patients in surgical units a state hospital.Int Refereed Acad J S. 2012; 2: 52-64
- Determination of patient learning needs.Florence Nightingale J Nurs. 2013; 21: 1-8
- Informational needs of surgical patients following discharge.Appl Nurs Res. 2000; 13: 12-18
- Discharge Information Needs of Outpatient Cardiac Catheterization Patients.Department of Nursing Science, University of Toronto, 1999 (Master Thesis. Accessed 2 May 2019)
- Learning needs of neurosurgery patients.J Neurol Sci. 2010; 27: 414-420
- Patients’ learning needs after hip arthroplasty.J Clin Nurs. 2002; 11: 634-639https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2702.2002.00648.x
- Heart failure patient learning needs after hospital discharge.Appl Nurs Res. 2004; 17: 150-157https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnr.2004.06.009
Published online: December 16, 2022
Conflict of Interest: None to report.
Funding: None to report.
© 2022 American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.