Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Update on surgical site infections: The new CDC guidelines.JAAP. 2018; 31: 52-54https://doi.org/10.1097/01.JAA.0000531052.82007.42
- Global Guidelines for the Prevention of Surgical Site Infection.2nd ed. World Health Organization, Geneva2018(ISBN 978-92-4-155047-5)
- Surgical site ınfection prevention bundle in cardiac surgery.Arq Bras Cardiol. 2019; 112: 769-774https://doi.org/10.5935/abc.20190070
- Surgical site infections after abdominal surgery: incidence and risk factors. A prospective cohort study.Infect Dis. 2015; 47: 761-767https://doi.org/10.3109/23744235.2015.1055587
- Surgical site infection following abdominal surgery: A prospective cohort study.Can J Surg. 2019; 62: 111-117https://doi.org/10.1503/cjs.004818
Berríos-Torres SI, Umscheid CA, Bratzler DW. et al. Centers for disease control and prevention guideline for the prevention of surgical site infection, 2017. JAMA Surg. 2017;152:784-791. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2017.0904
Oropello JM, Kvetan V, Pastores SM. Intensive Care: Healthcare-Related Infections. Özkoçak-Turan I, Hancı V. (eds). Akademisyen Bookstore, Ankara; 2018:503-511. (ISBN:9786052396810) (in Turkish).
- Surgical wound classification and surgical site infections in the orthopedic patient.J Am Acad Orthop Surg Glob Res Rev. 2017; 1: e022-e032https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOSGlobal-D-17-00022
- Stress hyperglycemia during surgery and anesthesia: Pathogenesis and clinical implications.Curr Diab Rep. 2016; 16: 33-40https://doi.org/10.1007/s11892-016-0721-y
- Improvement in hyperglycemia prevents surgical site infection irrespective of insulin therapy in non-diabetic patients undergoing gastrointestinal surgery.World J Surg. 2020; 44: 1450-1458https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-020-05371-y
- Insulin resistance, glycemia, and cortisol levels in surgical patients who had preoperative caloric load with amino acids.Prilozi. 2015; 36: 61-70https://doi.org/10.1515/prilozi-2015-0079
- Obesity-related insulin resistance: implications for the surgical patient.Int J Obes. 2015; 39: 1575-1588https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2015.100
- A randomized controlled study of preoperative oral carbohydrate loading versus fasting in patients undergoing colorectal surgery.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2019; 34: 1551-1561https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-019-03349-4
- Nutritional prehabilitation: Physiological basis and clinical evidence.Anaesth İntensive Care. 2018; 46: 453-462https://doi.org/10.1177/0310057X1804600505
- Tissue-specific regulation of mitochondrial and cytoplasmic protein synthesis rates by insülin.Diabetes. 2001; 50: 2652-2658https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.50.12.2652
- Evaluation of surgical site infections.KSU Medical Journal. 2019; 14 (in Turkish): 16-19https://doi.org/10.17517/ksutfd.467381
- Relationship between hyperglycemia and infection in critically ill patients.Pharmacotherapy. 2005; 25: 963-976https://doi.org/10.1592/phco.2005.25.7.963
- Perioperative hyperglycemia management an update.Anesthesiology. 2017; 126: 547-560https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000001515
- A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials on preoperative oral carbohydrate treatment in elective surgery.Clin Nutr. 2013; 32: 34-44https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2012.10.011
- Procedure-associated Module Surgical site ınfection (ssı) event. Procedure-Associated Module SSI.National Healthcare Safety Network, 2022: 1-9 (Accessed January 2022)
Turkish Anesthesiology and Reanimation Association (TARD). Anesthesia practice guidelines preoperative evaluation 2015:1-24. https://www.tard.org.tr/assets/kilavuz/preoperatifdegerlendirme.pdf. Accessed December 20, 2020.
- Practice guidelines for preoperative fasting and the use of pharmacologic agents to reduce the risk of pulmonary aspiration: application to healthy patients undergoing elective procedures: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists task force on preoperative fasting and the use of pharmacologic agents to reduce the risk of pulmonary aspiration.Anesthesiology. 2017; 126: 376-393https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000001452
- Effectiveness of blood glucose control protocol for open heart surgery patients.J Adv Nurs. 2020; 00: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.14592
- The importance of using protocols in monitoring of glycemia of intensive care patients.Firat Med J. 2017; 22 (ISSN: 1300-9818 /2147-124X) (in Turkish): 108-112
- Update to the centers for disease control and prevention and the healthcare infection control practices advisory committee guideline for the prevention of surgical site infection (2017): a summary, review, and strategies for implementation.Am J İnfect Control. 2018; 46: 602-609https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2018.01.018
Turkish Diabetes Foundation Insulin Working Group, Insulin Therapy in Diabetes. (Ed: Yılmaz M., Gül K.) 2021;1-161. Accessed January 17, 2022. https://www.turkdiab.org/admin/PICS/webfiles/Diyabette_insulin_Tedavisi_Kitabi_2021.pdf (ISBN 978-605-69309-7-3). (in Turkish).
Turkish Society of Intensive Care Intensive Care Guidelines. Blood sugar management ın the intensive care unit insulin infusion protocol, 2015. https://www.yogunbakim.org.tr/data/pdf/03122015_kansekeri.pdf. Accessed December 25, 2020 (in Turkish).
- Global guidelines for the prevention of surgical site infection.World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland2016: 1-2Accessed December 18, 2020. (ISBN 978 92 4 154988 2))
- Continuous perioperative insulin infusion decreases major cardiovascular events in patients undergoing vascular surgery a prospective, randomized trial.Anesthesiology. 2009; 110: 970-977https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0b013e3181a1005b
- Surgical site infection after gastrointestinal surgery in china: a multicenter prospective study.J Surg Res. 2019; 240: 206-218https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2019.03.017
Brunicardi FC, Andersen DK, Billiar TR. et al. Schwartz principles of surgery. İn: Özmen MM. (eds). Güneş Medical Bookstores. İstanbul. Turkey;2016:135-160. (ISBN: 9789752776326). (in Turkish).
- Risk factors for surgical site infection after cholecystectomy.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2017; 4: 1-8
- Surveillance of surgical site infection after cholecystectomy using the hospital in Europe link for infection control through 27surveillance protocol.Surg Infect. 2013; 14: 283-287https://doi.org/10.1089/sur.2012.096
- Surgical site infections following colorectal surgery in patients with diabetes: association with postoperative hyperglycemia.J Gastrointest Surg. 2009; 13: 508-515https://doi.org/10.1007/s11605-008-0734-1
- Implementation of a referral to discharge glycemic control initiative for reduction of surgical site infections in gynecologic oncology patients.Gynecol Oncol. 2017; 146: 228-233https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2017.05.021
- Guideline on peri-operative glycemic control for adult patient with diabetic mellitus: Resource limited areas.Int J Surg Open. 2017; 9: 1-6https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijso.2017.07.001
- Multivariate analysis of incision infection after posterior lumbar surgery in diabetic patients: A single-center retrospective analysis.Medicine. 2019; 98: e15935https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000015935
- Perioperative hyperglycemia and risk of adverse events among patients with and without diabetes.Ann Surg. 2015; 261: 97-103https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000000688
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC). Healthcare-Associated Infections: Surgical Site Infections. In: ECDC. Annual epidemiological report for 2017, Stockholm; 2019. https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/AER_for_2017-SSI.pdf. Accessed January 15, 2021.
- Investigation of ıncidence and risk factors of surgical site ınfections after cardiothoracic surgery.Klimik Journal. 2019; 32: 182-189https://doi.org/10.5152/kd.2019.40
- The effect of diabetes mellitus on surgical site infections after colorectal and non colorectal general surgical operations.Am Surg. 2010; 76: 697-702
- Perioperative hyperglycemia: a literature review.AORN J. 2019; 109: 80-86https://doi.org/10.1002/aorn.12445
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of interest: None to report.
Funding: The authors thank Sivas Cumhuriyet University Scientific Research Unit (CBAP) for its financial support of this study.