Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Anesthesia for cesarean delivery: general or regional anesthesia—a systematic review.Ain-Shams J Anesthesiol. 2021; 13https://doi.org/10.1186/s42077-020-00121-7
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Hypothermia: Prevention and Management in Adults Having Surgery Clinical Guideline. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence; 2008. Available at: https://www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/CG65. Published 2021. Accessed December 10, 2021
- Inadvertent perioperative hypothermia: current nursing knowledge.AORN J. 2017; 105: 453-463https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aorn
- Perioperative thermoregulation and heat balance.Lancet. 2016; 387: 2655-2664https://doi.org/10.1016/s0140-6736(15)00981-2
- Effect of administration of pre-warmed intravenous fluids on the frequency of hypothermia following spinal anesthesia for Cesarean delivery.J Clin Anesth. 2009; 21: 242-248https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinane.2008.12.010
- The effects of a resistive warming mattress during caesarean section: a randomised, controlled trial.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2014; 23: 309-316https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2014.06.003
- Enhanced recovery after cesarean delivery.F1000Res. 2018; 7 (Faculty Rev–513): F1000https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.13895.1
- Thermoregulatory effects of spinal and epidural anesthesia during cesarean delivery.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 1998; 23: 418-423https://doi.org/10.1097/00115550-199823040-00018
- Inadvertent perioperative hypothermia.BJA Educ. 2018; 18: 227-233https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjae.2018.05.003
- Neonatal and maternal temperature regulation during and after delivery.Anesth Analg. 2016; 123: 168-172https://doi.org/10.1213/ane.0000000000001256
- Warming of intravenous and irrigation fluids for preventing inadvertent perioperative hypothermia.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.cd009891.pub2
- Warming of irrigation fluids for prevention of perioperative hypothermia during arthroscopy: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Arthroscopy. 2018; 34 (e2): 930-942https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arthro.2017.09.024
- The role of perioperative hypothermia in the development of surgical site infection: A systematic review.AORN J. 2021; 113: 265-275https://doi.org/10.1002/aorn.13327
- Inadvertent perioperative hypothermia risks and postoperative complications: a retrospective study.AORN J. 2019; 109: 741-747https://doi.org/10.1002/aorn.12696
- Obstetric hemorrhage and hypothermia: chilling facts.Open J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 08: 1260-1270https://doi.org/10.4236/ojog.2018.813128
- The impact of ambient operating room temperature on neonatal and maternal hypothermia and associated morbidities: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 505.e1-505.e7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2016.01.190
- Effect of delivery mode on postpartum neonatal body temperatures.Journal Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2016; 29: 385-388https://doi.org/10.3109/14767058.2014.1001359
- A randomized controlled trial to improve outcomes utilizing various warming techniques during cesarean birth.J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2014; 43: 719-728https://doi.org/10.1111/1552-6909.12510
- The incidence and prevention of hypothermia in newborn bonding after cesarean delivery.Anesth Analg. 2014; 118: 997-1002https://doi.org/10.1213/ane.0000000000000160
- A systematic review of the effectiveness of warming interventions for women undergoing cesarean section.Worldviews Evid Based Nurs. 2014; 11: 383-393https://doi.org/10.1111/wvn.12067
- The effect of patient warming during caesarean delivery on maternal and neonatal outcomes: a meta-analysis.Br J Anaesth. 2015; 115: 500-510https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aev325
- Warming strategies for preventing hypothermia and shivering during cesarean section: a systematic review with network meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.Int J Surg. 2019; 71: 21-28https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2019.09.006
Higgins JPT, Thomas J, Chandler J, Cumpston M, Li T, Page MJ, Welch VA (editors). Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions version 6.2 (updated February 2021). Cochrane, 2021. Available at: www.training.cochrane.org/handbook. Accessed November 20, 2021.
- The PRISMA 2020 statement: an updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews.BMJ. 2021; 372: n71https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.n71
Ryan R, Hill S. How to GRADE the quality of the evidence. Cochrane Consumers and Communication Group, 2016, Available at: http://cccrg.cochrane.org/author-resources. Version 3.0 December 2016. Accessed November 20, 2021.
Review Manager (RevMan) [Computer program]. Version 5.4, The Cochrane Collaboration, 2020.
- Estimating the sample mean and standard deviation from the sample size, median, range and/or interquartile range.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2014; 14: 135
Rohatgi A. WebPlotDigitizer. Available at: http://arohatgi.info/WebPlotDigitizer/. 2011. Accessed November 20, 2021.
- Effects of combined warmed preoperative forced-air and warmed perioperative intravenous fluids on maternal temperature during cesarean section: a prospective, randomized, controlled clinical trial.BMC Anesthesiol. 2020; 20https://doi.org/10.1186/s12871-020-00970-7
- The effect of combination of warm intravenous fluid infusion and forced air warming versus forced air warming alone on maternal temperature and shivering during cesarian delivery under spinal anesthesia.Ann Afr Med. 2020; 19 (doi:10.4103%2Faam.aam_58_19): 137-143
- Efficacy of forced-air warming and warmed intravenous fluid for prevention of hypothermia and shivering during caesarean delivery under spinal anaesthesia.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2019; 36: 442-448https://doi.org/10.1097/eja.0000000000000990
- Preoperative warming versus no preoperative warming for maintenance of normothermia in women receiving intrathecal morphine for cesarean delivery.Anesth Analg. 2018; 126: 183-189https://doi.org/10.1213/ane.0000000000002026
- Does the addition of active body warming to in-line intravenous fluid warming prevent maternal hypothermia during elective caesarean section? A randomised controlled trial.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2017; 31: 37-44https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2017.04.008
- Active warming utilizing combined IV fluid and forced-air warming decreases hypothermia and improves maternal comfort during cesarean delivery.Anesth Analg. 2016; 122: 1490-1497https://doi.org/10.1213/ane.0000000000001181
- Perioperative warming with a thermal gown prevents maternal temperature loss during elective cesarean section. A randomized clinical trial.Braz J Anesthesiol. 2016; 66: 451-455https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjane.2014.12.007
- Maternal and newborn outcomes related to maternal warming during cesarean delivery.J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2006; 35: 324-331https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1552-6909.2006.00052.x
- Active warming during cesarean delivery.Anesth Analg. 2002; 94: 409-414https://doi.org/10.1213/00000539-200202000-00034
- Intra-operative fluid warming in elective caesarean section: a blinded randomised controlled trial.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2009; 18: 346-351https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2009.02.009
- The effects of skin-to-skin contact on temperature and breastfeeding successfulness in full-term newborns after cesarean delivery.Int J Pediatr. 2014; 2014: 1-7https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/846486
- Effects of a preoperative forced-air warming system for patients undergoing video-assisted thoracic surgery.Medicine (Baltimore). 2020; 99: e23424https://doi.org/10.1097/md.0000000000023424
- Effect of preoperative warming on intraoperative hypothermia: a randomized-controlled trial.Can J Anaesth. 2018; 65: 1029-1040https://doi.org/10.1007/s12630-018-1161-8
- Effects of 10-min prewarming on core body temperature during gynecologic laparoscopic surgery under general anesthesia: a randomized controlled trial.Anesth Pain Med (Seoul). 2020; 15: 349-355https://doi.org/10.17085/apm.20006
- Effect of preoperative warming during cesarean section under spinal anesthesia.Korean J Anesthesiol. 2012; 62: 454https://doi.org/10.4097/kjae.2012.62.5.454
- The effect of short time periods of pre-operative warming in the prevention of peri-operative hypothermia.Anaesthesia. 2012; 67: 612-617https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2044.2012.07073.x
- Intraoperative forced air-warming during cesarean delivery under spinal anesthesia does not prevent maternal hypothermia.Anesth Analg. 2007; 105: 1413-1419https://doi.org/10.1213/01.ane.0000286167.96410.27
- Peri-operative warming in caesarean sections.Anaesthesia. 2009; 64: 921-922https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2044.2009.06026.x
- Meperidine decreases the shivering threshold twice as much as the vasoconstriction threshold.Anesthesiology. 1997; 86: 1046-1054https://doi.org/10.1097/00000542-199705000-00007
- The effect of infusion rate and catheter length on the temperature of warming fluid.Korean J Anesthesiol. 2010; 58: 31https://doi.org/10.4097/kjae.2010.58.1.31
- The effect of patient warming during Caesarean delivery on maternal and neonatal outcomes: a meta-analysis.Br J Anaesth. 2016; 117: 676https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aew323
- Intrathecal opioid–induced hypothermia following subarachnoid block with morphine injection for elective cesarean delivery: a case report.AANA J. 2016; 84: 23-26
- Persistent hypothermia after intrathecal morphine: case report and literature review.Can J Anesth. 2012; 59: 384-388https://doi.org/10.1007/s12630-011-9650-z
- Intrathecal morphine–related perioperative hypothermia in women undergoing cesarean delivery: a retrospective case-control study.J PeriAnesth Nurs. 2018; 33: 3-12https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jopan.2016.04.142
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of interest: None to report.