Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
The Joint Commission. Sentinel Event Alert 29: Preventing surgical fires. The Joint Commission. Available at: https://www.jointcommission.org/resources/patient-safety-topics/sentinel-event/sentinel-event-alert-newsletters/sentinel-event-alert-issue-29-preventing-surgical-fires/. Accessed December 5, 2021.
AORN. AORN Fire Safety Tool Kit. Association of periOperative Registered Nurses; 2021. Available at: https://test.aorn.org/guidelines/clinical-resources/tool-kits/fire-safety-tool-kit. Accessed December 5, 2021.
- Surgical fires: Decreasing incidence relies on continued prevention efforts.Pa Patient Saf Advis. 2018; (06/01)
Institute for Safe Medication Practices. Surgical fires caused by skin preps and ointments: Rare but dangerous and preventable. Available at: https://www.ismp.org/resources/surgical-fires-caused-skin-preps-and-ointments-rare-dangerous-and-preventable. Accessed January 30, 2022.
- Surgical fires and operative burns: Lessons learned from a 33-year review of medical litigation.Am J Surg. 2017; 213: 558-564https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2016.12.006
- Catching fire: Are operating room fires a concern in orthopedics?.J Patient Saf. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1097/PTS.0000000000000896
AHRQ. Patient Safety Network. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Available at: https://psnet.ahrq.gov/primer/never-events. Accessed December 5, 2021.
- Operating room fires.Anesthesiology. 2019; 130: 492-501https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000002598
- Risks and prevention of surgical fires: A systematic review.Anaesthesist. 2018; 67 (Risiken und Pravention chirurgisch induzierter Feuer: Eine systematische Ubersicht): 426-447https://doi.org/10.1007/s00101-018-0445-2
- Burn injuries from warming devices in the operating room.ASA Newsl. 2013; 77: 16-17
- Fire in the operating room due to equipment failure.J Anaesthesiol Clin Pharmacol. 2013; 29: 141https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-9185.105836
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). TeamSTEPPS: Strategies and tools to enhance performance and patient safety. Available at: https://www.ahrq.gov/teamstepps/instructor/index.html. Accessed December 01, 2021.
ERCI. Surgical Fire Prevention. Emergency Care Research Institute Available at: https://www.ecri.org/solutions/accident-investigation-services/surgical-fire-prevention. Accessed December 5, 2021.
- Practice advisory for the prevention and management of operating room fires: An updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on operating room fires.Anesthesiology. 2013; 118: 271-290https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0b013e31827773d2
The Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation. Prevention and management of operating room fires video. Available at: https://www.apsf.org/videos/or-fire-safety-video/. Accessed January 30, 2022.
- Does your team know how to respond safely to an operating room fire? Outcomes of a virtual reality, AI-enhanced simulation training.Surg Endosc. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-021-08602-y
- Military surgical team communication: Implications for safety.Mil Med. 2020; 185: e448-e456https://doi.org/10.1093/milmed/usz330
- A network analysis of perioperative communication patterns.AORN J. 2020; 111: 627-641https://doi.org/10.1002/aorn.13044
- Surgical team familiarity: An integrative review.AORN J. 2021; 113: 64-75https://doi.org/10.1002/aorn.13281
Conflict of Interest: None to report.