The purpose of this quality improvement project was to develop a competency-based orientation (CBO) protocol based on the American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses Nursing Standards and CBO for perianesthesia nurses.
Feasibility study with pre–post survey design.
A CBO protocol that included nursing care workflows for 11 common surgical cases was developed and used in orienting newly hired perianesthesia nurses. Newly hired nurses completed a pre–post self-assessment on their level of competency in caring for surgical patients.
Using Wilcoxon signed rank test, improved competency was found in all service areas except for pediatric care.
Nursing competency in the perianesthesia area is critical in fulfilling one's role as a nurse. A robust CBO protocol for the perianesthesia nurse is important when integrating an employee into the organization and preparing the nurse for success.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Defining competence in nursing and its relevance to quality care.J Nurses Prof Dev. 2016; 32: E9-E14
- Assuring Continued Competence- Policy Questions and Approaches; How should the profession respond? Online Journal of Issues in Nursing (OJIN). Am Nurses Assoc 2000; 5.(Accessed at:)www.ojin.nursingworld.orgDate accessed: January 30, 2020
- Competency-based orientation program for new graduate nurse.J Nurs Adm. 2000; 30: 126-132
- Restructuring a competency-based orientation for registered nurses.J Nurses Staff Dev. 1999; 15: 152-158
- The impact of mentorship, preceptors, and debriefing on the quality of program experience.Nurse Educ Pract. 2019; 35: 63-68
- Enhancing transition to practice using a valid and reliable evaluation tool: Progressive orientation level evaluation (POLE) tool.J Contin Educ Nur. 2017; 48: 123-128
- Rethinking perianesthesia orientation.J Perianesth Nur. 2017; 32: 631-635
- Moving forward: Creating a new nursing services orientation program.J Nurses Staff Dev. 2006; 22: 214-221
- Designing nursing staff competency assessment using simulation.J Radiol Nurs. 2013; 32: 165-169
- Preceptor: blueprint for successful orientation outcomes.J Emerg Nurs. 2013; 39: e83-e90
- Concept mapping: An educational strategy to improve graduate nurses’ critical thinking skills during a hospital orientation program.J Contin Ed Nurs. 2008; 39: 119-126
- Utilization of experiential learning, and the learning outcomes model reduces RN orientation time by more than 35%.Clin Simul Nurs. 2015; 11: 79-94
- Nurses’ professional competency and organizational commitment: Is it important for human resource management?.PLoS One. 2017; 12: e0187863
- Management and Policies.in: Odom-Forren J. Drain’s PeriAnesthesia Nursing: A Critical Approach. 7th Edition. Elsevier, 2018: 18-33
- Safety in the PeriAnesthesia Setting.in: Allen J. Orbell S. American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses. Competency Based Orientation (CBO) Program for Registered Nurses in the PeriAnesthesia Setting. ASPAN, Cherry Hill, NJ2019: 59-75
- Safety.in: Schick L. Windle P.E. PeriAnesthesia Core Curriculum. 2nd Edition. Elsevier, St. Louis, MO2010: 82-89
- Postoperative recovery: the importance of the team.Anesth 2020. 2020; 75: e158-e164
- Competency Based Orientation (CBO) Program for Registered Nurse in the PeriAnesthesia Setting.ASPAN, Cherry Hill, NJ2019
- 2019-2020 PeriAnesthesia Nursing Standards, Practice Recommendations and Interpretive Statements.ASPAN, Cherry Hill, NJ2018
- Standards for ethical practice.in: Schick L. Windle P.E. PeriAnesthesia Core Curriculum. 2nd Edition. Elsevier, St. Louis, MO2010: 13-22
- Developing competency to sustain evidenced-based practice.J Nurs Adm. 2016; 46: 581-585
- Integration of the ASPAN CBO into a successful orientation curriculum. ASPAN National Conference Abstracts.J Perianesth Nurs. 2017; 32: e22
- Nursing competency: definition, structure and development.J Med Sci. 2018; 61: 1-7
Published online: July 10, 2021
Conflict of interest: None to report.
© 2020 American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.