To analyze the incidence of respiratory depression (RD) in patients undergoing anesthesia using opioids in a postanesthesia care unit.
Retrospective cohort study.
Quantitative approach, performed by documentary analysis of medical records in the postanesthesia care unit.
A total of 330 patients were included in the study, with a prevalence of female (186; 56.36%) and nonobese patients (295; 89.39%). Five cases of RD in the immediate postoperative period were found, corresponding to an incidence of 1.52%. Each case in this study showed different risk factors related to opioid-induced RD.
Nursing surveillance is essential in the decision-making process regarding the knowledge of physiological, pharmacologic, and risk factors to detect clinical signs of RD.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of PeriAnesthesia Nursing
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Recommendations for the use of opioids in Brazil: Part III. Use in special situations (postoperative pain, musculoskeletal pain, neuropathic pain, gestation and lactation).Revista Dor. 2014; 15: 126-132
- Clinical Anesthesia Fundamentals.7th ed. Wolters Kluwer Health, Philadelphia2015
- Avoiding adverse events secondary to opioid-induced respiratory depression: Implications for nurse executives and patient safety.J Nurs Adm. 2016; 46: 87-94
- Postoperative Opioid-induced respiratory Depression: A closed claims analysis.J Am Soc Anesthesiol. 2015; 122: 659-665
- Risk factors for opioid-induced respiratory depression and failure to rescue: A review.Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2018; 31: 110-119
- Incidence and demographics of post-operative naloxone administration: A 13-year experience at a major tertiary teaching institution.Pain Physician. 2015; 18: E827-E829
- Preoperative opioid misuse is associated with increased morbidity and mortality after elective orthopaedic surgery.Clin Orthopaed Relat Res. 2015; 473: 2402-2412
- Findings of a naloxone database and its utilization to improve safety and education in a tertiary care medical center.Pain Pract. 2016; 16: 327-333
- Predictors and outcomes following naloxone administration during phase I anesthesia recovery.J Anesth. 2016; 30: 116-122
- Predictors of delayed postoperative respiratory depression assessed from naloxone administration.Anesth Analg. 2015; 121: 422-429
- Multimodal analgesic protocol and postanesthesia respiratory depression during phase I recovery after total joint arthroplasty.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2015; 40: 330-336
- Monitoring hospitalized adult patients for opioid-induced sedation and respiratory depression.AJN Am J Nurs. 2017; 117: S27-S35
- Predictors of in-hospital postoperative opioid overdose after major elective operations: A nationally representative cohort study.Ann Surg. 2017; 265: 702-708
- Monitoring to prevent postoperative opioid-induced respiratory depression.AORN J. 2016; 103: 7-9
- Influence of ethanol on oxycodone-induced respiratory depression: A dose-escalating study in young and elderly individuals.Anesthesiology. 2017; 126: 534-542
- The perianesthesia nurse's role in the prevention of opioid-related sentinel events.J Perianesth Nurs. 2013; 28: 31-37
- Effects of anaesthesia techniques and drugs on pulmonary function.Indian J Anaesth. 2015; 59: 557-564
Published online: October 22, 2020
Conflict of interest: None to report.
© 2020 American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses. Published by Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.